26 April 2006

Routine?

Is work in God's kingdom ever routine? I am trying to make it so, at least for me. It seems to be working, but I have been through this before. Weeks begin to look alike. Before it was a schedule of Portuguese classes. Now it happens to be a weekly schedule of meetings and activities. I can look forward to Tuesday beginning with morning classes with my language teacher, Jaci, then to head off to a meeting with the men of our mission team to guide our spiritual focus for our church. Tuesday nights leads us into our small group meeting at our apartment. Wednesday, I wake up to get ready and then head to our staff meeting, a time when we can look at what we are doing and ask, how can we help that to go better, after a time of worshipping God together as a church staff. Thursday is again Portuguese class in the morning. Friday mornings comes our rehearsal for Sunday morning worship and then a meeting of the sermon writing team. Friday nights are always youth activities. And of course Sunday mornings at 8:30, we all meet at the building to pray and then lead the worship service.

Actually, it is my humanity that is calling out, "make my week something I can get used to!" Really, it would be best not to be routine, but to always keep things fresh. I know that whatever routine we are in now won't last. That is fine. I look forward being more invovled in people's lives, and I think that is what leads to chaos rather than the order of a routine. It is always good to have something to look forward to grounding me in relation to the clock part of the space time continuum, but it is also a blessing to be able to say that if we get to the point where every day really is the same, then we may need to look at shaking things up a bit so that we do not stagnate. So, while my nature yearns for things to be steady, my nurture tells me that they can not become overy so to the exclusion of progression. Still, the urge is pretty strong.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I think it's okay for things to be routine. People crave routines. On the other hand it's good to stay open for those opportunities that have potential for great good, even if they're not "scheduled."

Matt said...

I think I'm looking for a balance between the two extreems of chaos and schedule, although I would like the opportunities for great things to happen in the midst of a scheduled day.

Anonymous said...

Matt
As I read through your post, I began thinking of the difference in following a routine/schedule and executing the events in a routine way. Then, I remembered you telling me once to "Think outside the box"--to be flexible and come up with new ideas. This, I think, we have to do to remain fresh and I thank you for that bit of wisdom. Following a routine keeps us focused, gives us a reason to get up in the morning, and lets us see the end of the current "To Do List." Then we can rethink, adjust, and get on with the task at hand. I've learned through the years that being flexible is a wonderful attribute. I've also experienced great things in my normal day. I may not have recognized it at the time, but later on in the day I think, "WOW!"

Matt said...

Interesting, think outside the box while you are working within the box? That's an interesting concept. Thanks for the reminder.